Tripod, the Tricycle Creative podcast, is for anyone interested in being a better Digital + Content Marketer. Hosted by Ross Herosian (a Marketing coach, content creator, and entrepreneur) episodes are a mix of helpful Marketing tips, social media updates, inspiring interviews, and his own unique perspective on how to promote and grow your business.
Listen + Subscribe to TriPod
There are a ton of coaching programs out there.
Ones that use funnels.
Ones that use email.
Ones that use Facebook Ads.
The list goes on and on.
Many of them tout that they have a plug-and-play “formula” that you can just apply to your business and, viola!, you’ll be driving that champagne Mercedes!
Now, I’m not here to tell you that those programs don’t work. Some do, some don’t.
But I am here to tell you why they should not be the first thing you do.
Do you even cook, bro?
I’m not sure this disclaimer is needed, but here it goes: I’m not a professional chef.
BUT I do enjoy cooking and there’s something from the culinary world that applies to your marketing.
mise en place
What is it? Here’s a terrific breakdown from, of all places, University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s Food website:
Mise en place (MEEZ ahn plahs) is a French term for having all your ingredients measured, cut, peeled, sliced, grated, etc. before you start cooking. Pans are prepared. Mixing bowls, tools and equipment set out. It is a technique chefs use to assemble meals so quickly and effortlessly.
Practicing mise en place has several benefits:
- Any missing ingredients can be spotted before it’s too late for a quick trip to the store or your neighbor next door.
- Special preparation for ingredients — such as toasting nuts, letting certain ingredients come to room temperature, etc. — can be handled BEFORE cooking rather than in the midst of another preparation step when time delays may affect food quality.
- There is time to clean the mixing area as you go along rather than face a counter full of mixing equipment when you’re done.
- You can group ingredients or place them in the order used to assure all recipe steps are included.
It makes complicated recipes more fun to prepare when you’re no longer doing a juggling act, trying to complete several tasks simultaneously.
Mise en place for your marketing
Before you start a program that specifically utilizes a digital marketing strategy (email, funnels, ads, etc) you need to fully understand your customers, your brand, and your content.
Even the most successful “formula” program will fail if you don’t know who your target customers/audience are, how to craft compelling messaging, and what content (video, graphics, words) to create.
It’s like being told to make a beef wellington but not having the ingredients list…
Sure, we know that beef wellington has been successfully (and deliciously) by tons of people but if you don’t have the specific ingredients list then you’re gonna end up with meatloaf.
This is where my Marketing CLARITY Coaching program comes in.
I designed this program to be the best first step in being a better marketer.
Just like mise en place, it has several benefits for your marketing:
- Any messaging, branding, or content blindspots can be identified and developed
- Customer FFP’s (Fears, Frustrations, and Problems), competitive advantage, and content opportunities are captured and can be referenced at any time instead of inconsistently making it up as you go.
- All of your ideas and opportunities are in one, central document. This document can be shared with members of your team to assist them in their respective sales, marketing, and content roles while also achieving unified alignment of your brand.
- You have a strategic plan that can act as the backbone for all your marketing, content, and social media efforts.
- Your Marketing CLARITY Coaching worksheets are one cohesive document that you can use to inform your marketing and sales PLUS it will aid you in any future “formula” programs that may interest you.
Foundational is essential
A solid foundation is essential for any area in your life where you want to succeed.
When you mise en place your marketing with my Marketing CLARITY Coaching program, you get to see all the elements for your marketing individually and cohesively.
And, once you have that, you then can build upon it and even use it to get the most out of any future marketing efforts.
To use another culinary metaphor – it’s like marketing sourdough starter.
It’s the base you can use to create delicious marketing.
Interested in my Marketing CLARITY Coaching program? Go to getmarketingclarity.com to learn more and book your 15-minute Discovery call today.
Want to be a better marketer?
Join our FREE community where I share tips, strategies, and how-to’s related to digital marketing, content creation, and social media.
Inside this free online community, I help solopreneurs and small business marketers who are struggling with their digital marketing.
+ Improve your marketing skills
+ Increase your digital marketing knowledge
+ Expand your support network